Problems Reinstalling DirSync
In a post earlier today on a DirSync export not synching, I highlighted the need to reinstall DirSync because of a bad version. In the process of doing this though, I had to wade through a bunch of frustrating problems. While upgrading, I wound up having errors that I couldn’t recover from no matter how hard I tried. Instead, I had to remove and reinstall. However that process didn’t work well either. After completely uninstalling, I tried reinstalling and ran into several errors including, but not limited to, the following:
The install was unable to setup a required component. Check the event logs for more information. Please try the installation again, and if this error persists, contact Technical Support.
- Uninstall Windows Azure Active Directory Sync tool and reboot
- Remove all remaining files located in C:\Program Files\Windows Azure Active Directory Sync and the directory itself
- Edit the local users and groups and remove the user account setup for the purpose of synchronization
- Delete the Group accounts that are created as well
- This is probably the most important step and could possibly be the only step you really need, though I wasn’t able to test that to be sure. Delete the old database files located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSONLINE\MSSQL\DATA
- Additionally, if these are the only database files on the server, you can delete all contents of the Data folder
- Note: I believe this last step was really the secret sauce. After doing the other steps, I went back in the Event Logs, which fill up with quite a bit of information, and found the following error messages
- Cannot create file ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSONLINE\MSSQL\DATA\FIMSynchronizationService.mdf’ because it already exists. Change the file path or the file name, and retry the operation.
- Login failed for user ‘DOMAIN\user’. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database ‘FIMSynchronizationService’. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
- Product: Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service — Error 25009.The Forefront Identity Manager Synchronization Service setup wizard cannot configure the specified database. CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.Cannot create file ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSONLINE\MSSQL\DATA\FIMSynchronizationService.mdf’ because it already exists. Change the file path or the file name, and retry the operation. <hr=0x8023044a>
After this final step, you can reinstall DirSync, and you should see the following page and breathe a sigh of relief. Figuring this out too me far longer than I’d like to admit, but it needed to be done. If it helped you move past your frustration, let me know with a comment. Thanks!