Often times users come to my Uninstall OfficeScan 10.6 without a password article looking for a way to get around occasional issues with OfficeScan but don’t want to fully uninstall OfficeScan because their IT department would not be pleased. I can sympathize with both sides as both have work that needs to be done. I’ve had to direct users that I don’t write these articles to help users get around policies that their companies or organizations put in place for good reason. HOWEVER, a good alternative is to simply unload OfficeScan at will. Thanks to a comment from one of the readers of this blog, I am adding the instructions on how to unload OfficeScan 10.6 without a password. The steps are almost identical to uninstalling OfficeScan, but with a few tiny changes, such as the value that gets changed. The steps are detailed below. If you have questions. feel free to comment and we’ll try to get them answered.
1) Reboot computer
2) Log in QUICKLY and run services.msc as fast as possible
3) Set “Trend Micro Unauthorized Change Prevention Service” to DISABLED
4) Run regedit
5) Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
6) Change the value of the Unload_Pwd key to: !CRYPT!
7) Right-click on the Trend Micro OfficeScan icon in your task manager and choose Unload
8) Enter the password “test” without quotes and hit enter
9) Wait about a minute (mine took ~20 seconds but there’s no indicator so slower computers could take longer) and you will see the Trend Micro icon disappear from the taskbar